At LWA we get asked a lot of questions when it comes to communications with HMRC, including how and when to pay your self-assessment tax bill, HMRC BACS payment details, how to arrange a Time to Pay with HMRC, to name but a few, as well as if there are benefits to setting up a Personal Tax Account. In our latest blog we thought it would be helpful to explain what a Personal Tax Account is, and how easily you can set one up.
What is a Personal Tax Account?
Set up as a digital service by HMRC in 2015, a personal tax account allows users to access and manage a variety of information including:
Income and tax
- check your Income Tax estimate and tax code
- fill in, send and view a personal tax return
- you can pay your self-assessment tax bill
- check your income from employment in the previous 5 years
- check how much Income Tax you paid in the previous 5 years
- claim a tax refund
Reliefs, pensions and financial support
- arrange a time to pay your personal tax
- check and manage your tax credits
- check your State Pension
- check or update your Marriage Allowance
- check or update benefits you get from work, for example company car details and medical insurance
- track any tax forms that you’ve submitted online
- tell HMRC about a change of name or address
- find your National Insurance number
Does everyone need to have a Personal Tax Account?
It is not a legal requirement to have a personal tax account generally, however for certain situations, it would be beneficial to have one in place. For example, should you dispose of a residential property which generates a capital gain, you can use your login details for your personal tax account to access the digital form to meet your legal duty for the gain to be declared within 60 days of completion.
How do I set up a Personal Tax Account?
To set up a personal tax account, you first need to register at HMRC Government Gateway where you will receive a User ID via email. Once your ID is verified you are able to log in and review the information available, you can add on tax services which apply to you such as Self Assessment.
Further guidance on setting up a personal tax account can be found via the HMRC website: Personal tax account: sign in or set up – GOV.UK.
If you need help setting up or accessing your account or personal tax information, speak to LWA’s Personal Tax Team on 01925 830 830 in Warrington or 0161 905 1801 in Manchester. You can also email the team via email@example.com